MPA Health & Safety Awards 2016
Article Date: 25th November 2016
Around 285 health and safety champions from 62 companies attended the 2016 Mineral Products Association Health & Safety Conference and Awards on Thursday 10th November in London.
This year’s theme was Inspirational and Effective Leadership. As part of this, company CEO’s showed their commitment to “achieve Zero Harm by setting an example and leading in all aspects of safety and health” by signing a banner to confirm their pledge.
As part of the Health & Safety Awards, Stanton Bonna submitted two entrees in the category Contractor Safety:
The Gully Hook was commissioned by Stanton Bonna after Chris Taylor highlighted the lack of equipment available to help offload and transport gullies on a construction site. Chris came up with the design and then worked closely with Probst UK to test and produce the Gully Hook ensuring all the required stress calculators met the relevant standards. This equipment now helps with safer handling of gullies even when they are stored on their side.
The Gully Hook won a Certificate of Merit.
The Stanton Bonna Pipe Pusher was also entered in this category. This equipment was also designed by Chris Taylor and has helped eliminate the need for workers to be in the trench during installation of larger diameter pipes. Traditionally a wooden beam was used and manually held between the pipe and excavator. This has led to some major accidents, including one that became public knowledge in February 2015 where a construction worker died after a wooden buffer broke and the flying timber hit him on the head.
The Pipe Pusher achieved Runner Up.
There were also some special awards given to recognise people for their Outstanding Contribution to Health & Safety. Stanton Bonna’s Chris Taylor was one of those who received the award for his exceptional dedication to improving onsite safety with support and training. Chris is a real asset to the business and goes above and beyond what is expected.
Congratulations to Chris and to all the winners at the event.
This was posted by future water association in Members News
- ACO Water Management wins Battersea Power Station drainage tender
- Thames Water appoints MD for Wholesale division and new Chief Delivery Officer
- ARAD Water Metering Partners with Welsh Water On Smart Metering Trial
- Welsh Water rolls out smart meter trial as part of EU-funded WISDOM project
- AVK acquires majority share of Fusion Group Ltd
- The Government's strategic priorities and objectives for Ofwat - consultation
- Water Plus wins £650k Kwik Fit switching deal for 831 sites
- £960m public sector retail water contract awards announced