Morrison utility services unveil new multi-utility stencil
- New stencil offers safer, clearer and more consistent survey marking of underground utilities in the highway
Morrison Utility Services (MUS), the UK’s largest, dedicated, independent utility service provider, has unveiled a new, patented ‘multi-utility stencil’ that will provide a template for safer, clearer and more consistent survey marking to identify underground utilities in the public highway.
The stencil provides an innovative solution to manually spray-painted markings used to identify underground utilities that can be untidy, unclear and inaccurate. The stencil is being introduced following successful trials on a number of major contracts and will lead to safer working practice and a reduction in customer complaints.
The multi-utility stencil was initially submitted as a proposal via the successful MUS employee innovation programme, Innovate to Improve (i2i).
Key benefits include:
- Improved adherence to HSG47 guidelines for safe dig practices
- Reduced margin for error and potential for underground strikes
- Consistent, clearer and more professional survey marking to reduce customer complaints
Key design features include:
- A lightweight, fold-up two-piece design
- A secure locking mechanism when not in use
- An integrated handle design
- a simple lettering system to indicate presence of underground services
Executive Director Sean Kelly, commented: “This is an excellent piece of innovative and practical thinking to address an everyday challenge to the utility industry. The stencil’s simple, ergonomic design has established it as a practical and essential tool for MUS dig teams and this represents a major step forward that will enable our teams to mark the presence of underground services in a clear, more consistent and professional manner.”
Paul Gilbert, Head of Communications, Morrison Utility Services
Tel: 01438 847275 / 07595 014 687
Morrison Utility Services is the UK’s largest, dedicated, independent utility service provider, working on long-term frameworks on behalf of regulated asset owners across the electricity, gas, telecom and water sectors.
About M Group Services
M Group Services is a leading service provider to the regulated infrastructure markets in the UK, including utilities, transport, telecom, and data capture. The Company operates through its subsidiaries that include Morrison Utility Services, Morrison Data Services, Dyer & Butler and M Group Services Plant & Fleet Solutions.